Epping line locomotives (Was: Epping to Somerton Transfer, 25-03-1999

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Tony Gatt wrote:
> Gareth Lumsden wrote:
> > Yes, the transfer was run by X31 (class leader), in VLF livery.
> > I was pretty damn sure (and so too were most people I talked to
> > yesterday), that X classes were not allowed on the Epping line.
> > Can anyone tell me otherwise, or did someone "stuff up"?
>
> I know that they are not allowed past Heidelberg (However they have got as far
> as the trestle at Eltham :/)
>
> I was under the impression that they were not to cross the Merri Creek Bridge
> between Rushall and Merri

Just to clarify, according to the MetRail working time-table appendix,
July 1987, the following locos are allowed on the following sections:

* Flinders St - Epping:  A B P S T X N 930 Y E L R J K D3
  Not allowed are: BL G C H.
* Clifton Hill - Hurstbridge: T Y E L J K D3
  Not allowed are: A B BL G C H P S X N 930 R

AFAIK, H classes have since been cleared for both lines, and P classes can
now run on the HBE line.  X class locos were allowed on the HBE line once
upon a time, but the line was downgraded prior to 1987.

Gareth.

Gareth Lumsden, s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au
http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278
"Windows 98 could not find arial.ttf - Reformat C Drive? Y/Y"
"Slam forehead on keyboard to continue"