Re: Rock throwing at Mt Druitt

Michael Walker (walker@hotkey.net.au) wrote:
> The saddest incident of this type I know of is when somebody was killed
> driving along the Eastern Freeway (Melbourne) when a couple of kids (aged
> around 8-10 from memory) were throwing stones at cars from a pedestrian
> footbridge a few years ago.

I remember that story well. Very sad.

> The other relevant story I heard but found
> slightly difficult to believe is the stupid people who hang supermarket bags
> full of water or rocks from railway overbridges. Apparently it makes a mess
> of G class 'bulletproof' windscreens. The rocks I can understand with a loco
> at speed but would water have enough force???

Water is one of the best shock absorbers around when hit at speed.
Remember those relatively new water filled traffic barriers can stop a car
travelling at 60km/h in under 1 metre. Hanging 5 litres of water from a
bidge would not cause all that much less damage than 5kg of concrete,
provided you hit it at high speed.

Cheers
David