Re: "Day of the Roses"

Paulius Stepanas (stepanas@newsserver.trl.oz.au) wrote:
: To turn that upon itself, however, as an engineer and a scientist,
: I am constantly annoyed by the treatment of science in Hollywood
: movies.  The attitude seems to be: if we (with no science background)
: don't see the science errors, then nobody else will.  Or worse, "then
: we don't care."
:
: In the case of "Day of the Roses", this is even more dangerous,
: because it subverts the teaching of history, which is far more
: important to our culture and society than the details of science.
: We cannot deny the place that television and cinema have taken
: in the education of our society, and the subversive influence of
: same.  Yet we also must not quietly surrender to their influence.
:
: The moral: don't believe everything you see and hear.

It's amazing how badly the TV stations can screw up sport on the news. How
they manage to make so many continuity errors is amazing - they can do it
with football, cricket, soccer and motorsport. BTW, I'm not including in
this stories where they show a highlight of the event before the main
story - obviously there will be a lack of continuity here :-)

And their lack of knowledge of some sports they cover surprises me
too...particularly when they may cover that sport (or a variant of it)

Dave

 David Wright, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

 davew@smug.adelaide.edu.au | http://www.smug.adelaide.edu.au/~davew/
 schuey@geocities.com       | http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1560/