Re: How many NR locos are now written off?

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:19:57 +1000, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J
Sos) wrote:

>"Reece Isaac" <throttle@alphalink.com.au> wrote, and I selectively
>quote:
>
>> He replied that it was
>>more like 105 and that they are now known as widow makers.

Sure he wasn't talking about ANs?

Some NR drivers seem to have a 'set' against the NR class and some
love 'em.

>AFAIK, 120 locos were built as Goninan (as part of the maintenance
>agreement) had to guarantee the availability of 105 locos at all
>times.

The contract calls for 113 to be available, so there are 7 spares.

>I thought the only fatalities were the crew on the NR that collided
>with a bridge abutment at Robertson, NSW: I think weather and landslip
>conditions caused the derailment, not a design deficiency in the loco.

The only one close to being written off (AFAIK) is NR3. NR95 (the one
that got bitten by a VLP N class) is under repairs.

Robertson was a case of just being in the wrong place at the wrong
time.

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.