Re: "Day of the Roses"

On 20 Oct 1998 01:45:38 +1000, craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick)
spake thusly to this newsgroup:

>Esp. the theory the show proposes (but doesn't directly suggest) that the
>track condition was not the cause. It's kind of ironic that 21 years after
>the accident we have the driver being blamed for going too fast. In
>hindsight we can all draw our own dramatic, and very subjective,
>conclusions.

I didn't see it that way.
They never blamed the driver for going too fast, as he was obeying the
limits in place at the time.
They did, however, shaft the politicians for the decisions relating to
the track speed at Granville.

I can remember recriminations abounding about the speed of the train
but at no time did anyone I knew (mostly railway people) blame the
poor bloody driver who simply had no control over his loco.

>>Many of my work colleagues refused to watch the show and said it should never
>>have been made.  I tend to agree.

>I watched some of it last night and then gave up. I didn't watch it all
>tonight (when I had my dinner break at work).

At least we waited 20+ years & didn't cash in with the flashy TV story
& multi-million dollar exclusive rights crap they'd have had in the
US.

--
Bryan E. Shailer
DoD Development (Canberra) |  |  |  |  |  |   Personal Opinions Only