Re: Brisbane to Sydney line

petan@ion.com.au (petan@ion.com.au) writes:

> Hi Graham,
>
> nice spot you live in. That wooden bridge over the tracks at Salisbury
> has let me get some wonderful photos! Mostly long gone locos and
> rolling stock eg 442 /45 on the Limited from Sydney as well as a DH on
> the QR etc etc
>
> Cheers
> Peter Cokley

Yes, it's about the only place around Brisbane I could find where you
can see regular standard gauge and narrow gauge passenger and freight
trains together.  The regular trains that come past here are:

Standard Gauge
--------------
XPT to and from Roma Street (if on time 4.45am and 6.45am)
NR steel wagons shunt to ex Comeng siding (at least 3 mornings a week
   anywhere between 4am and 7am).  Usually worked by 81 or NR locos.
NR container trains to Fisherman Island.  (runs as required, usually
   to Fisherman Isl in the morning and back in the afternoon.  Mostly
   hauled by NR's, sometimes an 81).

Narrow Gauge
------------
QR EMU/SMU sets on Beenleigh line trains.
QR IMU or SMU sets on Robina services.
QR electric loco hauled SX tin set train to Kingston (aprx 5.30pm) and
   comes back empty around 6.30-6.40pm.
QR 3900 electric hauled freights to/from Acacia Ridge to Rockhampton, etc
QR diesel hauled feights to/from Acacia Ridge
QR diesel light engines to/from Mayne.
QR track machines, rail grinder train, etc (usually on weekends).

In addition I have an interest in buses so get to see the BCC buses
and the Road Runner buses to Browns Plains/Jimboomba/Beaudesert.

About 18 months ago QR replaced half the wooden pedestrian overhead
bridge at Salisbury station (the western end over the dual gauge line)
with a new concrete one that has metal sides which means you can't
stand on the bridge to photograph trains (unless you take a step ladder
with you).  There are still other good locations so the cause is not
altogether lost.

When Yeerongpilly loco depot was still open all the standard gauge
locos used to come past here however most of them now refuel at Acacia
Ridge.  In fact NR is insisting that all their locos refuel at Acacia
Ridge as the fuel there is cheaper than at most other depots.  It is
sad what has happened to Yeerongpilly loco depot now.  It has a lonely
MHO van that is being vandalised sitting there and a huge mountain of
dirt over the lines between the loco shed and where they used to join
onto the dual gauge line.  I'm surprised none of the preservation
groups have tried to get the MHO van for their collections.  It's just
sitting there almost begging for someone to take it away.

Among my friends we refer to my house as "Salisbury Box" because the
front and side windows face onto the train line and it is only a few
hundred metres from where the former Beaudesert Road signal box used
to be located.

Hope this gives you an idea of what comes past here.

Graham Duffin,
Salisbury, Qld.