Re: This weekend's cancelled Pullman tour

In article <364cea36.3499927@NEWS.OZEMAIL.COM.AU>,
  bevanwall@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:26:09 +1100, "Darren Yates" <dyates@pnc.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone know why this tour was cancelled?
> >It would have been a ripper...
> >-----------------
> >Cheers,
> >Darren Yates
> >Firebox recordings [http://www.firebox.bluemountains.net.au]
> >

> The tour was cancelled due to lack of patronage. This tour was
> basically for the steam enthusiasts, and the fact that it could not
> pull enough passengers is probably a sign of the times - as discussed
> recently on this group, the number of steam enthusiasts (especially
> those who are keen enough to pay relatively high prices for a ticket)
> who can recall steam in regular service is slowly dwindling, while
> there is an increase in the general tourist traffic who make the
> diesel hauled dinner trains, etc, much more profitable. Could we be
> witnessing the beginning of the end for steam hauled tours organised
> for steam enthusiasts as distinct from the steam tours that cater for
> the "general public"?

  I believe that the main reason this tour was not popular with enthusiasts
was the $500+ fares. The RTM don't have any trouble filling their day steam
trips. I would suggest that expensive weekend tours may not happen very often
as most fans just don't have the spare dollars to go an these trips. Which
sounds more interesting, 6 day trips or one weekend trip for the same price?

Cheers

Bob