Re: Boronia Station and Z,A & B class trams.

David McLoughlin wrote in message <3648E235.5D76@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz>...
>Johann Fan wrote:
>
>> Even if they were replaced starting in 2008 with trams, how old will the
>> Z1's be and how many A's will have completely rusted by then?
>
>Well, the Z1s are only now receiving their mid-life overhauls. They are
>from 20 to 23 years old and will thus be 29 to 32 years old in 2008 which
>is well below the standard 40-year operational life of a tram in much of
>Europe.

But do European operators actually take care of their trams and have
mid-life overhauls at mid-life age?

>The As are only 14 to 17 years old now. You say they are rusting? Do you
>have a source?

It was stated here some time ago... someone mentioned a driver pointing out
all the rusted components... Also I have noticed on some 109 Port Melbourne
trams that the bogeys (spelling??) had signs of rusting... maybe it was just
dirt?? but it looked redish in colour...

>> The state
>> government is applying to the disability authority (or whatever controls
>> accessibility) for an extension. They are meant to have commenced in 2004
>> with 25% of facilities and 100% by 2019
>

>They should certainly be building new low floor trams NOW, for route
>extensions, to replace the Ws and eventually the worst of the Z1s. An
>order for 100 low-floors placed now and delivery spread over five years
>would come close to meeting the 2004 requirement.

>Trust Jeff to postpone such a decision until long after he will have been
>consigned to the dustbin of history and his successors will have to cope
>with his inaction.

Successors? I thought Chairman Jeff was another constant in Victoria? just
like public transport services :)
cheers
Johann