Re: Aus Railways loco brake systems

On 3 Nov 1998 05:46:53 GMT, markbau1@aol.comnospam (MarkBau1) wrote:

>You have to be a bit specific when refering to the desktop brake valves as the
>early ones, G 543 DL's etc were not much more than 26 L with a different look.
>Later desktops incorporated the electronic brake where the brake valves send
>electrical signals to the rack that actually controls the flow of air.
>
>The VR  X class have two types of brake valve.
>
>X 31 - X 44 have A7EL, (maybe some have recently had 26L installed?)
>X 45 - X 54 have 26L ( is pressure maintaining still cut out on these?)
>B, S, L, T, H A7EL
>G, N, C, P, 26L
>Y, No 4 .
>
>Mark.
The brake valves on G543 and the DL ,CLP ,CLF ETC are designated
30 CDW
the brake equipment fitted to the NR'S is EPIC electronic
Although i agree with you wholeheartedly on the wagon equipment it a
joke Westinghouse type W does not even come close to ABDW equipment .
But as we evolve to longer trains (Westinghouse australia admits the
practical limit for type W is 1500 meters)
Apparently NR is looking at the new EP freight system (single wire)
Compatible withe the EPIC brake equipment as well!!
1800 meter trains are on the books!!
Ps the iron ore railways use ABDW equipment and have since day one.
regards Paul Johnston (NRC Melbourne)