Re: Boronia Rail Crossing

Craig Dennis wrote:

> Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote in message
> <713mh1$8rk$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
> >Anyway, back to Melbourne, Boronia.
> >
> >The last train will run through the crossing at 8:30pm Friday, from then
> >to the first train (4:50am) Wednesday morning thetrain line will be closed,
> >buses etc..
> >
> >The old station (well not the bulidings) has been there with the level
> crossing
> >diagonally through the Boronia/Dorset Road intersection since 1889.
> >
> >Th line was doubled in the 50's and later the signal box and station
> buildings
> >removed.  Now the new station in a concrete cutting will open next
> Wednesday.
>
> The line may have been doubled at the platform but as I recall it was single
> line working between Ringwood and Upper Ferntree Gully until sometime in the
> early 70s.

No in the 70s It was single line Ringwood to Bayswater  then double line to
Ferntree Gully this line was duplicated in 1957 then single line to Upper
Ferntree Gully

> I don't recall a signal box

Boronia never had a signal box they had a couple miniature levers to operate a 2
position Auto light signal and a home signal. Boronia was in the middle of the
Double line block section Bayswater Ferntree Gully before that was abolished in
1977.

> but the old station building fell
> victim to arson somewhere around 1969/1970.

wasn't the station rebuilt around 1984 also I can't quite remember.