Re: Another Austrac rumour

In article <909746440.936451@woody.hotkey.net.au> "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:
>From: "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au>
>Subject: Re: Another Austrac rumour
>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:24:09 +1100

>>> When are their Black 5's arriving?
>>
>>After the war surplus 8Fs from Turkey and the 20 QJs from China.
>>
>Of course, this is only a temporary measure until they build their own
>electric rail line next to the current SG line and run ex-Switzerland
>Crocodiles and restored Victorian L class locos and the ex-FreightCorp 85
>and 86 class (after all, FreightCorp don't appear to need or want them) on
>all their trains until all competition has been run into the ground because
>they can't compete with the new high speed alignment and superior locomotive
>technology.

>At the risk of spoiling a most enjoyable thread, shouldn't we be trying to
>support Austrac a little. They may be mostly talk but if they take some of
>the freight off the roads, they will have achieved something positive. After
>all, 1 extra train a day between Melbourne and Junee or Sydney or wherever
>is better than leaving the 30 odd trucks it replaces on the highway.

Hear , hear, why are we such a Nation of knockers , never anything in support
of any small company thats trying to have a go , arguably in an industry where
because of all the red tape , a small player hasnt much chance .
At least in Junee they are providing much needed employment for young
mechanics and fitters in their loco rebuilding business.
And if you think that running an extra train or two between Melb and Sydney is
a trivial thing to organise, ask yourselves why after 18 months of negotiation
SCT still have no trains on the same corridor.

cheers
MD