Re: T413 - anyone know anything about this loco?

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote in aus.rail:

>Reuben Farrelly (reubie@bigpond.AAA.com) wrote:
>> I saw T413 at Geelong near the loco yard turntable about 2 or so months
>> ago...it looked beautiful in fact I'd have to say it looked like one of the
>> most attractive locos I've ever seen.  Does it get used at all?  Who owns
>> it?  I hope it wasn't just sitting there waiting to go rusty...
>
>It was built for Australian Portland Cement in 1969 and was as D1 on their
>narrow gaune (3'6") Fyansford line near Geelong. VR bought it when APC
>closed the line (when?), and converted it to broad gauge to become T413.
>It is almost the same as the first series T class (T320-T346), but also
>has dynamic brakes.

Psst, David, you must have written this reply too fast mate. D1 was
built in 1956 by Clyde (Builder's No. 107/56). It was converted to
B.G. in 1969 after it was sold to VR.

I wonder what they did with the N.G. bogies?

The Fyansford N.G. line was dismantled around 1968. The conveyor which
replaced it came into operation in April 1966. On the rare occasion
when the conveyor jammed or broke down or whatever, the railway
(tramway?) came into operation until about 1968.

Les Brown

Les Brown.