Re: CityRail questions

> Whilst obviously not Cityrail, in Melbourne there are seats set aside for
> pensioners, wheelchair bound passengers and other disabled passengers on
> trains and trams and these are clearly marked. In private buses recently
> have appeared similar signs and National Bus minibuses have clearly marked
> seating for these people and pregnant women too.

In Melbourne seats are reserved for disabled people.  While
anyone can sit in these seats, failure to allow a disabled
passenger this seat carries a $100 fine.

Marked on the back of concession cards in Melbourne is "The
holder of this pass shall not occupy a seat if there is no
seat for an adult and must not cause inconvenience to other
passengers by placing bags and other personal belongings in
the passageways."

Makes it interesting, under the law I am an adult, so a
concession card holder can't have a seat if I am standing
with no other seats, but I too have a concession card.
Maybe the term 'adult' should be 'full fare', but then this
doesn't include people on special benefits or pensioners.

Chris Gordon
mailto:cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord