Re: 930's - ASR - GM1 and other items of interest

Bob wrote:

> driver@seyaboyo.com.de wrote: .
>
> > Now, a little known snippet of history for you.  In 1989, Australian
> > National *VERY SERIOUSLY* considered the restoration of a steam
> > locomotive to service.  Several options were considered.
> > 1- Obtain a 36 from NSW and do a Commonwealth C Class conversion
> > (there is still a set of tender bogies in existance at ........ )
> > 2 - Restore G1 from Port Dock
> > 3- Obtain a QJ from China.
> > 4- Obtain an RM pacific from China
> > 5- Do a gauge conversion on a BG loco - possibly a 520 class (there
> > are 2).
>
> It was well known by members of the RTM that there was an approch by AN to
> have a long term lease on 3609 for this conversion. As far as I can recall
> the RTM decided against the proposal.
> Bob

Not quite!

AN was of the opinion that 3609 could be worked as a part of the normal power
for selected services, including  the Ghan and th IP. The rest of the power
was to be GM1 and a CLP for HEP.

Hence the date was a little later than 1989.

There were some improvements to be made to the 36, but the whole scheme was
somewhat optimistic...............

When advised that 36 class were a little on the rough side, ride wise, the
reply was to the effect that "that had never been run on CWR before".

The RTM made a proposal to AN and no response was received - and so the idea
lapsed.  Perhaps thay didn't like the financial side....

--
Timothy Arnot

e-mail to timarnot@fastlink.com.au