Re: Timings for Adelaide to Melbourne (was GSR's new Brochure)

<<<<<An alternative would be to make all of them conditional stops, except
Dimboola where a stop is required for a crew change. >>>>>>

Conditional stops would require the stations to be manned an expense GSR would
prefer to do without I'd say. Dimboola would not need to be a stop even for
crews if the Melb-Adelaide running times could be reduced to around 10 hours as
one crew could go all the way.

GSR could easily cut Ararat, Stawell, Murtoa Horsham as stops, if they don't
feel a need to stop in Geelong why should they stop in Ararat or similar such
tiny towns? As for Murtoa, what a joke! Murtoa's population is what, 500?

The bigger issue though is why is speed so important? No one catches the
Overland for reasons of getting their as fast as possible. If speed is
important you catch a plane. As much as I love The Overland, trains like this
are now a relic. Put it out of its misery I say!

Mark.

THE ROCK is dead
Long live THE ROCK!