Re: Road Cost Recovery.

David Penna wrote:

> > To level the playing field,(which seems to be the buzzword these days) between
> > road and rail means either
> > 1/ Increasing cost recovery from the trucking industry for the true cost of
> > roads. (no chance at all of this happening.)
> > 2/ Improving the rail right of way to make trains more able to compete with
> > the trucks. (no chance of this happening either.)
> > 3/ Getting rid of completely , the idiotic track access charges that rail
> > operators have to pay , and simply charge a registration fee for locomotives ,
> > in the same way that trucks are charged.
> > (This could be done without a great deal of angst,provided that we could get
> > rid of the multipliciity of Rail Access Authorities,not impossible , but more
> > likely than 1 or 2.)
> >

> What about more road tolls? Or should that be toll roads?
>
> We seem to have a mentality that tolls for urban roads are OK, because
> the improvements they bring, why doesn't the same principles apply to
> interstate roads?  Especially with axle-based charging.  (Well I guess
> the main problem is the powerful truck lobby, and of course the many
> marginal provincial seats - but in theory a toll is good)
>
> Rail access charges are just a rail toll.  Perhaps we could see non-toll
> railtrack (your everyday, poorly maintained track) and toll-railtracks
> (where the improvement in rail conditions are made equivalent to the
> recent improvement in in road conditions on the Hume)
>
> Just food for thought.
>
> Perhaps the govt should get out of rail and road altogether and privatise
> everything from the Railway Tracks, to the Hume Fwy, to Hoddle St and
> Parramatta Rd to the laneway that runs behind my house.  After all, the
> market knows best doesn't it. ;->

Bob McKillop wrote:
The problem of developing a land transport pricing system that supports
the most efficient modal split in the national interest (which means
sustainable in environmental, economic and social terms) is complex and
politically difficult. Clearer definition of what is involved is the
first step toward sorting out the present mess. The issues include:

1. Capital investment and maintenance costs: an attractive return to the
investor in infrastructure. Road tolls are an obvious approach to this
problem, but are rather crude in their limited differentiation between
types of vehicle and their damage to roads. NSW rail access charges
incude both a "flag fall" and a weight-distance charge. Recent land
transport reforms in New Zealand impose a similar weight-distance based
charge on road transport. They are also moving to establish road
companies (but publicly owned) which will be required to charge users for
the use of roads so that the infrastructure is provided on a commercial
basis (ie, same as railways, power lines, or communications
infrastructure)

2. Congestion Costs: This is the big issue for urban transport. Unless we
find a way to impose charges on traffic entering congested areas at peak
times (or ban private vehicles from these areas) then gridlock seems the
inevitable outcome for many of our cities. Estimates of congestion costs
in major Australian cities are alarming. Electronic road pricing to
better manage the use of available space is the seen as the most
effective ansewer to this problem. Strategic use of parking charges can
also be helpful.

3. Environmental and Social Costs: The issues here are primarily noise
and air pollution (including greenhouse gases), but some may argue that
visual pollution is also relevant. Fuel taxes (over normal indirect
rates) are primarily a mechanism for charging polluters, while
registration charges are esentially a licencing charge for ensuring that
vehicles meet emission and noise regulations. The difficulty here is to
provide effective compensation to those maost affected by the pollution
(eg, those living next to a major road or a railway). It is generally
accepted that rising community concern over environmental issues should
result in policy outcomes that favour environmentally-friendly transport
modes.

4. Accident Costs: Licence fees (you are supposed to show some sort of
competence) and insurance are the primary mechanisms for recovering costs
in this area. Again, the costs incurred by accident-prone drivers tend to
be born by all.

Rail reforms around the world are putting rail operators and
infrastructure providers on a better footing to provide sustainable
transport systems. In contrast, road systems continue to operate as
Stalin-based command enterprises.

Bob McKillop