Re: Steam heating and low voltage hep

David Bromage wrote:

> Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> >I'll have to find my notes on this but from memory there were also some 44
> >class fitted with this feature for the Cooma Mail. It was not considered a
> >great success however they persevered with it for many years. It probably
> >would not be considered as head end power as the source of the power was the
> >locomotives main generator unlike a proper head end powered loco that has a
> >separate MG set.
>
> I'd call it proper hep as the train power is provided by the locomotive.
> The Amtrak F40PH and Genesis units work the same way, not having a
> seperate hep engine. The New Haven's Fairbanks-Morse Speedmasters were the
> same.
>
> >The cars were ones with an X prefix to the code. These being
> >XAM (TAM), XCM (MCE), XFS (FS) and XBS (BS).
>
> This was part of what I was looking for. Anyone got the 44 and 48 class
> locos which were equipped for this? What was the operating voltage?

The operating voltage was that of the main generator depending on which notch the
throtle was in. At maximum the output was around 600vdc. I am still unable to find
my records on the locos but I do remember that 6 48 class and 4 44 class were so
fitted. The 48s were from memory 4825 to 4830 while the 44s were definatly Mk1s
but not in a consecutive numbering pattern.

> >The other electric heated cars
> >were the E prefix cars that had power supplied by a power van. Although I
> >never saw it myself I believe there was a train of these cars ran to Cooma
> >during the snow season. As a matter of interest the electric heaters in the X
> >and E cars were identical except for the way they were connected ie series or
> >parallel.
>
> What cars were so equipped and what was the operating voltage?

EAM ,ECM and EFS cars were so wired. They used a 415v power supply from a power
van.

> How does all this compare to the air-conditioned cars? (Let's turn this
> into a general discussion about hep)
>
> >As for the steam heated cars they did not change their
> >code and were not easy to identify especially in latter years when the steam
> >equipment was still there but not in use. The only clue was to find the steam
> >unit under the seats and a control knob on the side wall below the window at
> >floor lever.
>
> When was steam heating abandoned?

To my knowledge the last train so equipped was the Southern Highlands express
where set 102 (R cars) were used. As this train was diesel hauled after 1969 I
would have at a guess that this must have been the last. I don't know of any
regular workings of steam hauled passenger trains after this so I think that this
was also the end of Steam heating. After this time they used the famous old foot
warmers that were thrown onto the floor.

> >There was an even earlier form of  ' head end power' on the
> >NSWGR as used on the Yass Tramway where the 13 class supplied power to the
> >CCA car via a jumper cable. The 13s power came from the steam driven
> >generator that supplies power to locomotive headlights.
>
> Was this 24 or 48 volts? I assume this would have been in use between the
> time electric lighting was introduced (i.e. the end of gas) and the
> withdrawal of the 13 class? Dates?

In fact all steam locomotive lighting is 32vdc. What is unclear however is if the
CCA had 32 v globes or did they reduce the voltage at the car to 24vdc as was the
standard voltage for carriage lighting. The 13 class for Yass was fitted with a
larger M3 type turbo generator to allow for the extra lighting in the CCA.

I am still looking for more bits to answer the rest of these  interesting
questions.
Bob