STNs #2

x-no-archive: yes

I am dubious on the issue of republishing SRA STNs on the Internet.  I
can see the benefit to some people of the republishing, yet I can also
recognise the legitimate copyright issue.

I am also cautious as to certain STNs republished, if they are.  For
example, some months back a number of STNs were on-line, 'advertising'
the location of Queensland Rail's Great South Pacific Express (GSPE)
heritage/luxury train with the notice of its movement(s).  The
location where it was being stored was highly secret, especially when
graffiti and like-minded groups have -- still to my knowledge -- a
reward on offer of something between $5,000 to $50,000 for the first
person who can 'damage' it.  Whilst it is under continual security
guard and guard dog monitoring, and not currently at the STN-stated
location, the 'advertising' if its location was non-existent, apart
from the mention in the STNs, FOR RELEVANT EMPLOYEES ONLY.

This was a risk to both QR and Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Ltd.  If
a person learnt from David Johnson's site where the GSPE was and
managed to damage it, both parties would be out for blood.  Even if QR
and/or VSOE couldn't be certain that the person used the data from
Johnson's site (if they knew about it), they would almost certainly
point the finger to Johnson given the GSPE's highly secret location
and QR's timorous attitude of anything Internet.

Continuing...  I also remember a senior IT employee of State Rail in
this newsgroup (aus.rail) some time ago talking about the publishing
of STNs on the Internet, asking for comments on the best method for it
if SRA were to do so.  Interesting that, as the STNs are under
copyright and restricted, this was not brought up at the time.

Furthermore, CityRail's somewhat useful Internet site FINALLY has
worthwhile information in the "Trackwork" area.  An obvious and
as-usual-appalling conversion of a Micro$oft Wurd 1897 document into
HTML, it is evidently an internal document titled "Weekend Upgrading
Summary" for May 1 to 4, located at
<www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/body_trackwork.htm>.  While containing
obscure details most customers/passengers would not understand - like
"Possession of the up Main and Suburban Lines", it also makes mention
of STN numbers, for example that "possession" relates to STN #390 for
work around Granville to Blacktown on the Blue Mountains timetable.

My point is that that the boundaries seem to be blurred as to what of
an STN -- part of whole -- can be republished for viewing on the
Internet, given CityRail's instance above.  I may offer a suggestion
of a very conservative, outlined points and certain times description
via an e-mail mailing list, or restricted WWW site (eg. restricted by
password).  That way you will not be breaching copyright by not
republishing the STNs verbatim, and you will lessen the
instances/extent of distributing restricted information.  However, the
RESTRAINED distribution of STN data by e-mail or a restricted WWW site
can prove responsibility and carefulness, if it can be assured that
the access given to people is only after, say, an application and
maybe some background checking (for example if you know the person and
know of his/her intentions for wanting the STN data).  I also suggest
checking with a legal person, just to be sure.