Re: Beresfield Accident Findings

Glad someone brought up the ridiculous situation of incompatibility that exists
between the various systems in Australia! It is almost understandable that this
situation existed up until recently but it is incomprehensible that they exist
as we head into the 21st century.

The BL/G/81 debacle was where it should have ended.

IF AN, V/Line and PTC had agreed to but the same loco from one plant the loco
cost probably would have dropped by 20%, but like spoiled children, each
railway and each division of the AFULE HAD to have a tailor made loco!

A green over red in NSW means the exact opposite to a green over red in Vic/SA
(not sure what they use in Qld/WA)

National Rails first priority should have been to standardise but I guess that
was impossible since they don't own many of the tracks!

I doubt we will see any advances in standardisation until one company/authority
actually owns all the tracks. The Fed govt. should step in now before the state
systems are sold piecemeal to a dozen different operators. The only possible
positive that would come from the railways being sold to a US
operator/operators is that they would standardise like they have in the US.

The present system really is a joke!

Mark.

THE ROCK is dead
Long live THE ROCK!