Re: Exhibition Street Extension Tram line construction

> Sending it onto Flinders Street and then Spencer Streets would not work
> because the LaTrobe street terminis has not got enough space for another
> tram to go there.  Also not enough passengers use the tram currently from
> Flinders Street to Spencer Street so another tram route would be a little
> expenise!
>
> Just my thoughts...
> Morphet@access.net.au

I will add my thoughts, when the docklands need people to go
there (ie stadium is open, etc) continue the tram.  The
original plan was to do a loop, Latrobe st go west (new
bridge over railway lines to Footscray Rd, linking the new
Docklands Stadium and the Channel 7 H.Q.) past the new
stadium then south to Flinders St extension (next to
Footscray Rd along reclaimed land from the reduction of
number of lanes for City Link) and east back to Flinders
Street (making the corner of Flinders St and Spencer St just
a cross over, ie no turning).  This would be good as the
trams from Flinders Street would use this loop and remove
the 48, 70 and 75 from Spencer Street, and maybe even the
City Circle (if they haven't built the Canso link by then).

They have "Docklands" on the new dot matrix displays on the
'Z' class trams.

They also had plans for a tram going further into the
docklands off that loop.

Chris Gordon
cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord