Re: P and H class (Vic) operating as push/pull

G'day,

Rod Young wrote:
> HEP wiring is passed through all H cars [I guess almost all V/Line
> carriages will now operate on HEP, or at least be able to pass
> HEP power through fitted cabling for cars that do need it!]

Some N and FN sets are not HEP operated.  On N type cars just below the
number you will see either a T or _H_ (that's an underlined H, or
"H-bar").

The T denotes "Through Cabled", the _H_ denotes "415V Head End Power".

T cars run off their own diesel-alternator unit (or axle driven
generator, although I don't think any of these exist now that BZ269 has
been converted to HEP), and are through cabled so HEP vehicles further
down the train can be supplied.

H-bar cars have AC electrical equipment, and will only run off HEP
supply.  ie, you switch off the HEP, and everything goes off.  H-bar
cars have small batteries to provide lighting to emergency DC lights in
case of HEP failure.

Some V/Line cars are H (not underlined), that denotes "DC Carriage,
batteries charged by Head End Power".  Those cars have all equipment