Re: MetCard System Can't Collect Patronage Statistics

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998 12:14:50 +1000, "Translib Pty. Ltd."
<enquiry@translib.com.au> wrote:

>Dear all,

   text deleted

>Surprise, surprise, in today's "Saturday Age", (page 8) there is a large article
>on the troubled OneLink system.  While large part of Melbourne have
>received their AT machines, the ERG company finally admits that its
>system is not designed to allocate revenue across multiple operators -
>whether accurately or not!  This reminds me of a newpaper article, late
>last year, reports two U.K. bus companies dumped the ERG system due to
>its inability to accurately collect patronage statistics.  Considering
>the Victorian Government is going to privatise the P.T.C. and already
>they have established four business units for our trains and trams.  I
>wonder how many potential private operators will be interested in
>running these services, especially an accurate revenue data is not
>available and allocation of the revenue will be based on a formula.
>Keep in mind that the Government has stated that they will controlling
>the ticket price, service level and safety standard.  Where can a
>private operator makes money?  Retrench more staff?  Well really, there
>aren't many operation staff left within P.T.C.  By the way, we need
>train/tram drivers!
>
>Cheers,
>
>I.C.

>Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
>712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
>Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
>Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
>                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
>Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
>Serving Your Library and Office Needs
>Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group CCT Approved Library Supplier

  Yer  you forgot to say about  story next to the above article.   It a
about private operator in England.   How Stagecoach has been fined up to
one million pounds & that Railtrack the private group that is responsible
for track maintance could face criminal charges  for failing to meet safety
standards.  Also a warming to the Victorian  government from the audit
general  about selling off too cheaply.

Another thing  Blair  Government has threaten to use that dirty word
"Nationalisation "  if the private operator not lift their game.

Cheers

Keith

                    *           Keith Holley
               *        *         Bundoora
                     +       Victoria   Australia

                   *         Email: Mailman@netspace.net.au

        " Any woman can keep a secret if she is given enough Chloroform "