Re: 36 and auto-couplers

Based on Ray Loves recollections and the information recorded by Bob Clark
during that period there was at least 5 36 class tenders fitted with auto
couplers.
With tender swapping and withdrawals, there would have been more then 5
different 36's that ran with these tenders at various times, though not that
many more.
My assertion that the 5 Pigs allocated to Junee during '61 were all fitted
with auto's is in fact not correct, as only a couple of these were.
It appears that the fitting of auto's to 38's, which occurred over a period
of time, may have been associated in some way with the Pigs. As 5 38's
apparently still had hooks when withdrawn.
3623 is a definite, as photographic evidence suggests. Bob Booth seems to
think so as well. 3623 apparently was one of those engines that seems to
follow you around and Bob 'bagged' this one quite often.
I'm fairly sure that there is a Pic reproduced somewhere that shows one of
these 36's stabled in Loco. I'll have to go through my Byways of Steam.

Ray Love has very kindly agreed to provide a more in-depth resume on this
topic and I will Post at least the Engine No's and relevant dates in the
forthcoming week or two, or maybe an edited transcript if its warranted.

When discussing this topic with Ray he recalled photographing 3802 + 3258
backing on to their train, on the South, sometime in the late 50's., early
60's.
He seemed pretty sure this P class tender had an auto coupler. And can
remember being quite surprised. Hopefully, I will get an opportunity to
speak to him further on this, and will Post later. (No not April 1)

Regards                            mainline@localnet.com.au
Patrick J. Buchanan            mameco@auscape.net
ICQ# 2914804                  MS NetMeeting (Audio only)
    --- Graphics & PRE-Press----High-Res Scanning---WEB Graphics ---
                  -- Sample JPEG(4836+4206) avail by E-Mail --