Freight is booming

I have heard that Patrick is to add an extra train per week, bringing the
total to 4. There may also be an increase in TNT Contrans traffic. This
is probably going to swallow the bulk of G&W's big power not already
leased to NR.

Three SCT trains have departed Melbourne for Perth in the last 48 hours.
SCT is to start a Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane service in the near
future. Does this have anything to do with the supervans stored at Albury?
Combined with the new Toll car carrying service, this is going to see yet
another increase in traffic between Melbourne and Sydney.

The big question is, where is all the motive power going to come from?  NR
is going to have to rely on its own fleet as the hired locos are recalled
by their owners. V/Line Freight is already stretched to the limit with its
own traffic, and the bulk of the big power will sonn be running to Perth.

As all the new services have V/Line involved in some way, V/Line Freight
may have to make some serious investment in new locos. However I can't see
this happening with privatisation just around the corner. While the new
services will make it more attractive to potential buyers, whoever the new
owner is will have to make a big investment right away.

Cheers
David