Re: Boxpoc

In article <3514EEEA.45813925@eis.net.au>,
  Greg Olson-Hyde <datamech@eis.net.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What was the advantage of the Boxpoc (spelling?) wheel over
> the conventional spoked wheel on steam locos?
>
> I know the 38's had them and the Southern locos ("Battle of
> Britain" and "Merchant Navy" classes) in England had them -
> any others?
>
> --
> Cheers,   Greg

> Greg Olson-Hyde                          Ph: 61 +7 3300 7071
>
> DataMech                                     Fax: 61 +7 3300
> 7072
> Brisbane Australia                  Email:
> datamech@eis.net.au

Boxpok (note spelling) wheels were one of several proprietary brands of cast
steel disk wheels.Believe it or not, the standard spoked wheel has
considerable flexibility (!)in the spokes and this causes looseness between
wheel centre and tyre. Disk wheels gave more consistent support to the tyre
throughout its circumference.
Boxpok wheels were quite commonly used on modern US locomotives. Southern Rly
(UK) Merchant Navy, Battle of Britain, West Country and Q1 classes used a
similar concept wheel, but which was built up, not cast. It was patented, and
known as the BFB (Bulleid-Firth-Brown) wheel. Another attempt to solve the
flexibility problem, used here in Australia, was the SCOA-P wheel, which had
U-shaped spokes for greater rigidity. It was used on QR BB18 1/4 class, VR j
and R classes, and TGR M and H classes.