Re: City Rail barriers often wide-open

In article <6ekufg$oq4$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>,
  "David Proctor" <daproc@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Geoff Lambert wrote in message <6ek0js$27$1@mirv.unsw.edu.au>...
> >At CityRail stations, periodically and sometimes chronically, the
> >passenger barriers are out of service, allowing unchecked ingress and
> >egress.
> >
> >Why is this so?
>
> The reason for this is that silly-rail do not wish to employ sufficient
> staff to adequately man (oops, have to be PC, person) the barriers at all
> times. There needs to be someone on the WEG (Wide Electric Gate) to opn it
> if required and to prevent unauthorised usage of the WEG. If there is nobody
> there to man the WEG, it is pointless having the gates in operation, as most
> people cant be bothered putting their tickets in the gates and simply use
> the WEG.
>
> Most (not all, though) barrier staff can't be bothered doing their job
> anyway. You regularly see people going through the WEG with magnetic
> tickets, and no attempt is made to direct them to the ticket checking gates.
> Unfortunately, the system will not work properly until they get people there
> who will do the job they are paid to do.
>
> Regards
>
> David Proctor
> daproc@bigfoot.com

David, I'm one of those people who will not use the "nutcracker" gates if
there is a staff member on the WEG.

The reason that I do this is because I believe that CityRail staff are there
for a purpose - checking tickets being one of them. I believe that by using
the WEG, there will be an imbalance between magnetic tickets sold and
magnetic tickets "scanned", helping to provide justification for these
people's jobs.

Why do I hold this belief?  I work in the CES, and know how hard it can be to
find suitable work for people, so whatever I can do to help keep a person in
a job (ie, not replaced by a machine) I will do. Perhaps this is a bit naive.
I don't care.

Brett Fitzpatrick.