Re Granville Accident 1977

Saying that this topic has started a lot of wonder and disscussion is an
understatement . So from a driver's point of view i'd like to make a few
points.

1. Ride of 4620;
  I never drove this engine myself but speaking as an observer and a driver
of 46 Class loco's on passenger trains that they were very very rough
especially at speed. The maximum speed of a 46 Class was 105 km/hr.
 If you speak to any drivers of 46 class locos they will ALL tell you that
they were a reliable and versatile ( sorry bout the spelling ) engine . They
could perform almost any task that their owners asked them to do .

Parramatta Road Bridge;
   There are many reasons that the Driver put the brakes on .

 1. The speed of the track leaving Parramatta is 80km/hr and the speed of
the track approx 100M after Parramatta Road Bridge is 70km/hr. It is
possible that the driver was braking to slow for this speed board .

OR
 2. He was making his initial application to stop at Granville . I myself do
not know the stopping pattern of this train .

Anyhow there has been a lot of debate about this accident and , some
constructive , some not .

Anyway I hope that this helps anyone's thoughts and answers some questions .

 Regards
Richard