Re: Superdump (was Rubbish to Cessnock)

Ben O'Regan wrote in message <6e73b0$vru$1@ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>...
>Heard on the Radio news this morning that two final sites have been
selected
>for the new 'superdump' to take the rubbish from Sydney.
>
>Either Ravensworth or Muswellbrook No 1 will be the chosen site.
>
>How close is a railhead to either of these mines? (I dont think either has
>an actual coal loading facility).
>
>Cheers & Regards
>
>Ben O'Regan

It depends on where at Ravensworth but the area is served by a railway line
and there are no built up area problems. Mbk No 1 though is a different
problem. I assume they mean the open cut which is on the opposite side of
the hill to the Mbk No 2 branchline. (I am relying on memory for the name of
this branch). There would need to be some sort of transfer station. The
junction arrangements of this branch would also need alteration for heavy
use. If they wanted to use the main line, a transfer station would need to
be built out of town with a road to the pit.

Barry Campbell