Re: Passenger Information Displays

>Passengers need to know if the train they
> are waiting for is now scheduled to go off another
> platform.
> Are count-down clocks more useful for estimated departure
> times than actual times? Do you need the current time on
> the sign? Do you need the complete stopping pattern (as is
> done in Sydney) or just something like "Express to Caboolture"
> or "All Stations Caboolture"?

Why buy and install expensive LED displays that can only display a small
amount of the above information, when for a far lower price (both
installation wise and maintenance) you can display almost ALL of that
information using a regular TV or monitor connected to the right computer
software. There are several monitors in the Adelaide station which give
patrons different information. Firstly, there is the screen displaying the
current time and a list of the closest scheduled departures with
corresponding platforms, ie:

Destination:           Departs:          Platform:
Gawler Central       2:35pm            8
Belair                    2:38pm            2
Grange                  2:46pm            6
Noarlunga              2:55pm            4
Brighton                3:00pm            5

This list fills the screen, and so contains times for up to 20 or so
trains. These monitors are placed on the main concourse as well as at
entrances for quick customer reference (you know, when you're running for
the train and you have to check what platform it's on).

Once customers know when their next train departs they can find the details
on the monitors for each destination, which are placed in the main
concourse. These monitors which have a different background colour for each
line, the line/destination in large print, as well as information such as
the stopping sequence, platform, scheduled and actual departure time and
whether there are any bus connections, ie:

BELAIR

PLATFORM 2
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE: 2:51pm
ACTUAL DEPARTURE: 2:51pm

Stopping at:

Mile End
Keswick
Express to Mitcham
Blackwood *
Eden Hills
Belair

* indicates connection for bus

The final monitors are those placed in front of and along each platform.
There are 2 monitors in front of each platform. The first tells the
customer the where the next train from that platform goes in large print,
and when it is scheduled and estimated to depart. The second monitor gives
the information for the particular train (ie stopping pattern etc.).

Essentially there are 3 displays on the monitors:
1) the overall listing of departures
2) the specific details for each train/line
3) the details for each platform

Whilst this may sound complicated, it is all interconnected and managed by
the same software. Although this may sound like a lot of monitors, the cost
of a lot of monitors compared to a lot of large LED displays comes out
favourably (doesn't it?).... unless of course you want to use big screen
TVs to give that full cinema effect. : )
Oh well, I like our system anyway. It's simple and quick to read, yet
supplies all the information you could possible need.

--
Adam Joyce
adamj@senet.com.au

http://www.home.aone.net.au/joyce/photo

(When replying by e-mail please remove "NoSpam_" from e-mail address)