Re: Granville Train accident

Tell wrote:

> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote some very
> good background info which I snipped for brevity:
>
> The question which still bothers me is why the NSWPTC
> was still using wooden passenger stock, when it was
> known some 50 years or more prior to Granville that
> wooden passenger stock offered little protection to
> it's occupants.

Well, I doubt any type of passenger stock is made to withstand hundreds
of tonnes of weight CRASHING down on them.

This next part is just my opinion.

With a head on or a rear end collision, the wooden cars would absorb
more of the impact then a steel car which would just telescope the next
couple of cars. Plus a wooden underfame would also absorb the impact and
prevent one underframe riding over another and cleaning the floor on the
carriage.

--
Bye for now,
Eben.