Re: QR SX (tin set) carriages to Cairns

Graham Duffin wrote:

> Page 47 of the June issue of Sunshine Express reports that in early
> June carriages from SX sets 40 and 43 went to Cairns where they are
> to be used by a company to run in competition with Queensland Rail
> to Kuranda.
>
> From what I have heard 9 SX cars (2 with guards comp.) have been
> purchased by a New Zealand organisation that runs main line tours in NZ.
> The plan seems to be to bring AB or BA class locos from NZ to haul the
> SX cars on Kuranda services.
>
> Does anyone know anything further?
>
> Graham Duffin,
> Salisbury. Qld.

I was lucky enough to get photos of the 10 SX stainless steel suburban
cars entering Townsville on the back of a goods train on 6th June.  They
were listed as being here for "refurbishment" according to local QR
staff.  I have the full list of numbers at home if anyone is
interested.  The set had the No 40 on both ends.

I believe that this is the first time that such carriages have been in
the area.

Regards,

Peter
Peter RENTON, Staff Engineer,
Central Services Office, James Cook University,
Townsville, Queensland, 4811, Australia.
e-mail Peter.Renton@jcu.edu.au
Phone (07) 4781 5123       Fax (07) 4725 2721