Re: High speed spinal tap

pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) (removethis) wrote:
> >The National Trunk Railway is principally about refocusing the rail -and road- infrastructure in Australia
> >onto a nationally interactive system via a spinal-type, high speed rail line which has a distinct north-south
> >orientation, as demanded by the modern transport task. This inevitably means reaching the strategic port
> >of Darwin for launching off into SE Asia, picking up the deep-water port of Gladstone along the way and
> >every productive region, including all irrigation areas, minerals provinces and population/industrial centres
> >in eastern Australia.

I've seen a map of the proposal and they intend to use some extsting
tracks where possible, particularly through NSW. Other new lines include
branches would run to Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns. There was also a
new line from Seymour to Horsham via Bendigo on the map.

> It brought up images of a 300kmh freight train speeding under a giant
> mock stonehenge archway

This is to be built at Dobly, er... Dubbo.

> (Fans of the movie will understand what I am talking about)

I understand the gas turbine locos will be able to be put into notch 11 on
very steep gradients.

Cheers
David