Re: Low nose 48 class

David Bromage wrote:

> Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> >I understand that 4848 and 4871 are being modified to a low nose at the
> >short end to improve driver visibility. They are using 81 class
> >windscreens as the new front windows.  The work is being done at
> >Chullora and 4871 (was the last in tuscan livery) will be repainted and
> >released to traffic in a few weeks. I can only assume that Freightcorp
> >are looking at running 48s for many more years if they are going to this
> >much trouble.
>
> Is it more or less identical to an AN/ASR DA class, including driver only
> operation?

It looks somewhat similar to the DA class but I believe the cab is not being
altered so I can only assume that there is no intention of using them for
driver only operation. I did hear however that they are considering fitting a
form of locotrol which would allow for push pull working with a unit at each
end of the train. I don't know of any current workings that would require this
and can only assume that it is another toy for the project engineer to play
with.

> I wonder if the same crew who modified 4537 for BHP did the 48s.

Defiantly not. The 4537 conversion was designed by Tim Elderton (Austrac) and
done at Junee whereas the current 48 class project is one that freightcorp
engineers have been playing with for some time. Their previous attempt to
modify a 48 was with 4847 where they attempted to manufacture an 82 class look
alike cab to go on 4847. They spent thousands on it and now after two years and
lots of time and money wasted they have abandoned this project and are
proceeding with 4848 and 4871.
Bob