Re: train knowledge was TRAIN DRIVER

markbau1@aol.com (MarkBau1) writes:

> In Victoria we had to know crap like ports and passages of the triple valve/A7
> brake valve/distributing valve but were taught almost nothing about train
> handling. In the US our course was much more focused on track/train dynamics,
> train handling with extensive use of hi-tech simulators.
>
> I know I'll get flamed for this, (what's new) but I bet (with the right
course)

> Mark.
> THE ROCK is dead
> Long live THE ROCK!

<Mark
I agree with the knowledge crap.

Although I don't deal with the "mainstream" systems, The volunteer groups expect
their potential labour pool to know all and sundry about the locomotive, rolling
stock and track.

The emphasis does need to be on relevant information for safe train handling not
on the thread type and size on the nut that holds the toilet seat to the bowl.

It seems that despite simple requirements of the Rail Safety Act, the emphasis
is shifting to "know all" level, not safe work practises.

Nic