Concord derailment, safe working and opinions.

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in
another thread:
>He probably assumed that the 1½ indication before the turnout indication was to
>warn him of a caution indication at the next signal.  He would have realised too
>late that he was going into a very rarely used siding.

Interesting point David.  I know that the Train Order
system is very much shit-canned in this group and yes
you can not run suburban systems with it, ......BUT

Many the train order has been issued with explicit
instructions and believe me I have heard plenty.

Speed restriction at the xx Km post, account track
condition, warning boards erected.

Track machine on mainline at so and so siding, YOUR
train must be admitted to the crossing loop.

Signal number xx is out of service, proceed with
caution.

Proceed to Tarcoola and take the Branch line.

And so it goes.  See the big difference here is the
driver is given explicit instructions and then is
required to read them back to the controller.

I know nothing about Sydney's metro services but if a
train is required to be deviated from it's "normal"
route, is the driver given verbal instructions.?
If not why not.!

----Tell
Alice Springs NT