Re: Train Articles

In article <6l4vrl$e44$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,
  cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote:

> That is one major cost of High speed train lines, they require maintance
> once ot twice a day.  They are very costly to run, and when there is an
> acident then there are high costs in terms of peoples lives.
>
> --

AFAIK, the accident did not occur on a high speed line. Yes, this is indeed a
terrible tradgedy and everyone must feel the deepest sympathy for all of those
involved, yet in the decades of high speed train operations, they have shown a
safety record that is far superior to roads and possibly even better than air.
If someone told me tomorrow that I had to travel from Hamburg to Munich, I'd
still choose the ICE, and feel safer than if I were in a car, bus, aeroplane,
or even traditional train.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)