Re: Budd - RDC's Where Are They ?

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> Hate Spam! wrote:
>
> > Beg to differ, but A BUDD is a BUDD even if Yankee Doodle Dandy did not
> > build it!!!

In your opinion.

The NSW BUDD cars were built under license to the Budd Corporation.  Even our
Double Deck suburbans built by Comeng are built using techniques licensed to the
BuddCorporation (namely the fluting on the side)

Budd  as such, went through the hoop in 1984. Its designs and other bits and
pieces, as used in various australian rail cars and carriages, passed on to
Canada's Bombardier Co in 1987.

Perhaps like the 2000 (don't quote me) series of rail cars of the STA, the ADK/L
and the WCA series of the WAGR and the IP consist of the CR they were built
using Budd technology, namely the "shot welding" technique developed for welding
stainless steel, amongst others. Don't forget the Budd Co also played around
with rubber tyred vehicles for railway use (eg the Michelin cars).

The 2000 series cars were based loosely on the last design of railcar put out by
Budd for the replacement of its RDC the SPV 2000.

Ironically, one of the first attempts by Budd to develop an RDC was known as the
"Prospector" running services for Rio Grande was not all that successful, yet
the later WAGR Prospector is one of the longer running services still done by
RDC,