Re: Old Railway near Albury

cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON) wrote in aus.rail:

>Sam Patrikka (twocan@keira.hotkey.net.au) wrote:
>: Recently driving between Albury and Corryong I saw the remains of an old
>: railline and a old bridge crossing Lake Hume with just the piers left.
>: Does anyone have info as to when this was built and where it went to?
>
>This line went from Wodonga to Cudgewa.  My mum traveled on it in nov
>1977.  I think the line was closed in the early 1980's.
>
>The line went through a place called Tallangatta they had to move the
>town and the railway line when the Hume was filled in 1956 or 1958.

Geez you guys make me feel old!

I travelled on that line on 4/5th Jan, 1968. T332, about 10 wagons and
I got bounced along in 377ZL at the rear. Crossed the opposite number
led by T381 at Koetong.

The S.M. at Cudgewa was one of the best. Took a bunch of us railfans
who had just come up on that train for a tour around the Snowy
Mountains Project. An unforgettable experience. Such as shame the line
closed, but hey, isn't that progress?

Les Brown.