Re: CityRail questions

On Thu, 28 May 1998 23:46:53 GMT, rdulin@hotmail.com wrote:

>Was he correct in telling the boy he had to stand *because
>he had not paid full fare*?

Yes, on Sydney CityRail trains children travelling on concession fares
are not technically entitled to a seat while there are adults
standing.  That is in the fares by-laws.

>(Even if he was correct, I don't think it was very nice to
>gloat about hassling a young kid).

Definitely not! Personally I'd never claim my right to a seat - my
personal view is that children are entitled to a seat as much as
anybody (except elderly and disabled people with obvious mobility
problems).

>I haven't seen anything which instructs concession fare
>travellers to vacate seats for full fare travellers.

It is in the railway by-laws if you can be bothered reading them and
on some CityRail brochures detailing fares etc.

>If his reason was correct, can you also make pensioners,
>railway employees and police stand because *they* haven't
>paid full fare?

haha :)  Wish you could :)

Albert Alcoceba
alberta@zip.com.au