Re: Clyde Open Day

Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote:
>This year marks the 100th anniversary for Clyde Engineering and also
>thier 50th year of association with General Motors . To mark these two
>milestones they will be holding an open day at Sydney Central Station
>on  Saturday 25th July. There will be a display of locomotives and these
>will include :
>3801
>GM 1
>Westrail L class
>Westrail Q class
>National rail  AN class
>Freightcorp 81 class
>Freightcorp 90 class.
> These engines are said to represent a milestone in the development of
>locomotives in Australia. There is a comemorative booklet which is
>included in the June/July issue of Network. This will be a rare
>opportunity to photograph the interstate locos and may never be repeated
>again.
>Bob

Good on them, just wish I could be there, Rail needs
all the promotion it can get.
What a pity some of Clydes steam loco's could not be on
display, like those great looking Commonwealth Railways
L class - South Australian Railways 700 class 2-8-2's
built from a design by the SAR's Chief Mechanical
Engineer, the redoubtable Fred Shea.

I saw some of the long abondanded L class in 1961 at
Port Augusta, they were "done out" of job by Clyde's
record breaking GM diesels, sadly the L's had travelled
very little before they were set aside to eventually
become toyota's and nissan's.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT