Re: Anyone experience in designing cellular coverage in rail concourse?

Mick Stock wrote:

> Matthew Geier wrote:

> > >Optus Communications would be another good place to try. They have installed
> > >some system or other to enable mobile phone users to inconvenience others
> > >and look stupid on platforms in the City Loop in Melbourne. They also have
> > >an advertisement on Flinders Street concourse advertising this fact - most
> > >logical given Flinders Street is not even underground!
> >
> >  Ive since seen advertisments where Optus is claiming coverage of the
> > Sydney underground stations. Wynyard is done. The others to follow shortly.
> >
> >  It is not just the concourse they are covering either, they are pointing
> > directional antenna down the tunnels as well. Dunno how far the signal
> > would get length ways through a train.
>
> In Melbourne, Optus digital mobiles have been working underground (at
> least from Spencer St to Melb. Central) for at least 2.5 months now.  At
> that time my phone went off while we were about half way down the tunnel
> between Spencer & Flagstaff.  I haven't checked if they work all the way
> to the other end yet, but at a guess I'd say they probably would by now.
>
> Mick.

The service is provided via quarter wavelength omnidirectional antenna
strategically placed on each of the platforms. If you look carefully at
any of the underground stations you will see this somewhere, a black
antenna which is about 1.5" long on a thicker base also about 1.5" long
(elevated feed im assuming). In Flagstaff this is located at the end of
the platforms near the exit, on a fire sprinkler panel in the roof. I
have also seen it at Museum (yes, i still call it that) somewhere, but i
think one antenna also provides for 2 platforms here due to the open
floorplan. As far as i can tell, there is no leaky co-ax system
implemented in Melbourne therefore there is only service at the
underground platforms and not in the tunnels, although due to the
straight track you can comfortably hold a call between fagstaff and
museum. I believe (do not quote me on this) that there was no leaky
co-ax implemented due to a dispute between Optus and the PTC where the
PTC were asking unreasonable amounts of money to provide for this
service. I hope i have been some help for the parties interested.

Mick. (the original ;))

--
Mr Michael Kurkowski.   Email: simcard@tig.com.au
    Snail Mail: P.O. Box 337 Glenroy, VIC 3046