Re: CityRail questions

In article <6krm67$16u$1@miranda.its.deakin.edu.au>,

> In Melbourne seats are reserved for disabled people.  While
> anyone can sit in these seats, failure to allow a disabled
> passenger this seat carries a $100 fine.

I have difficulty with the provision of specific seats for "disabled persons"
- there are people with drug dependencies who are on Disability Support
Pensions, and are therefore disabled, who are perfectly capable of standing,
and are there fore entitled to these seats.

> Marked on the back of concession cards in Melbourne is "The
> holder of this pass shall not occupy a seat if there is no
> seat for an adult and must not cause inconvenience to other
> passengers by placing bags and other personal belongings in
> the passageways."

On the back of concession cards, or on STUDENT concession cards? What about
someone travelling on a Helath Care Card (which is used in Victoria for the
unemployable (oops, unemployed)) - or Pensioner Concession Cards?

> Makes it interesting, under the law I am an adult, so a
> concession card holder can't have a seat if I am standing
> with no other seats, but I too have a concession card.
> Maybe the term 'adult' should be 'full fare', but then this
> doesn't include people on special benefits or pensioners.

I operate on the principle that I will give up my seat to those who need it
more than I do - thus a woman who is 8 months pregnant will get it, but one
who is only just pregnant will not - nor will an OAP on her way back from a
bowls trip who is sprightly and active, but a 20yo on crutches will.

hope this helps,

David "The Doctor" Proctor