Carl Scully Announcement

ABC radio went further and identified the railways being considered for
reopening.  They were Lithgow - Mudgee, Cowra - Blayney, Tumut - Tumbarumba.

The Mudgee line is already open as far as the cement works at Kandos and
the RTM did a tour not that long ago a bit further up the line to Rylstone.
 People at Mudgee have been pushing for the reopening of the line to Mudgee
and Gulgong for some time.  The line was closed a number of years back when
some timber bridges east of Mudgee were found to be defective.

The Cowra - Blayney line needs a burnt out bridge to be replaced.  There is
no line between Tumut and Tumbarumba although the Batlow branch went close.
 I presume the government is looking at reopening the Cootamundra - Tumut
Line and the Wagga - Tumbarumba line.  As I understand it the Tumut line
was closed following flood damage about 15 years ago, so the condition of
the track must be very poor.  I also believe the huge timber bridge over
the Murrumbidgee River at Gundagai is an expensive maintenance headache.
The Hume Highway widening works have also destroyed the railway north and
south of Gundagai.  However, Tumut has a number of large timber products
manufacturers who could be enticed to rail transport.  The Tumbarumba Line
also has been closed for many years and it to has at least one large
particleboard manufacturing plant adjacent to the railway at Rosewood.

Non the less one can not help but be cynical that there must be a state
election in the air.