Re: British Rail privatisation a disaster

pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) wrote and I quote parts of
his reply:
>You cannot have political appointees complain aggressively lobby their
>political masters for improved rail-funding - that's one of the reason
>why we are in the ridiculous situation of rail traction being
>classified as an "on-road" vehicle for the purposes of diesel fuel
>excise collection. Whilst farmer Brown (no relation) driving his
>tractor on his farm is exempt, ASR running locos on their own private
>Right Of Way are not. Political power is what is needed and political
>appointees have none.

Not only the tractors Les, there have been some serious
allegations that the bigger companies are using this
exemption from fuel excise to run semi's & road trains
in direct competition to other truckies, not to mention
railways of course.
We can thank Tim "Ostray-ya" Fischer and the Nats for
that.

>The U.K. is no comparison for Australia. Look at Canada anyone?

The UK was ALWAYS pass orientated, they were still
running unbraked four wheel wagons on "goods" trains
into the sixties, at least Australia was using brakes
on their four wheelers, well .....all except CR which
had dumped four wheel wagons on main lines for both
gauges after WW2.
A lot of the Brits are still wondering why Beaching put
an axe into this madness of their "delightful" branch
lines, with two coach pass trains and half a dozen
unbraked four wheel wagons "goods" trains.
We had much the same thing going for us in Australia
until sanity prevailed.  Can you imagine four wheel
wagon "goods" trains in Canada.!  Heh Heh

>Roll on priviatisation.

I think we have passed the point of no return, there is
no going back now.  Privatisation seems to be the only
course open to rail in Oz for the 21st Century.
Anyway, ......ever tried to unscramble an egg.  ;-)

Cheers

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT