PB4 via Picton was Foreign locos in NSW for Clyde display.

>>> From today -PB4 no longer runs via the Moss Vale - Unanderra line,
>>> both the above trains will run via Picton.
>>>

>I have been told by an NR employee that this is  long term change -
>they do not intend to run trains via the Unanderra - Moss Vale line
>for the time being. I was not told why, but perhaps it has something
>to do with the recent accident at Robertson. -PB4 is still tabled into
>Moss Vale at 11.42.

I understand that it is due to the SRA/RAC limits on train length down
the Mountain. 45 loaded or 40 empties or various combinations. 1500m
Steelink trains would have more than 45 vehicles. I know that the
grade is 1 in 30 but these rules seem to be overly paranoid.

In the USA the D&RGW over Tenessee Pass seemed to haul huge (by our
standard) trains up and down similar grades.

Then again, if YN2 can handle all the loading for Port Kembla and PB4
has Sydney/Newcastle/Brisbane stuff then why run two trains a day down
the hill when you don't have to. Southbound NP2 has run via Picton for
quite a while (BY4 runs via Robertson).

Cheers

Krel

All's well that ends.