Re: British Rail privatisation a disaster

Barry Campbell wrote in message <6om3ar$c1i$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...

>My impression is that EW&S railways have been quite optomistic about
>business. You have to remember that Australian railways have always been
>primarily freight haulers and these days aside of commuter trains there
>would be no more than about 20 passenger trains running in Aust daily.
>
>The lessons of the UK are rarely useful in Australia and the development of
>railways here has borne that out for more than a century.
>

>Barry Campbell

I hesitate to suggest that since both Bayside and Hillside Rail
(Metropolitan
Melbourne) are to be privatised, or rathere francihised out, early next
year.
The performance of the UK companies is of some interest, since these
may be purchasers of one or another of the systems.