Re: Qld Rail trivia question

Roy Wilke wrote:

> Wasn't there a report recently about the historical society in
> Maryborough building a replica of a (vertical boilered) locomotive
> that was built in Maryborough in the 1840s and used in logging
> operations in the district for a number of years?

I don't know about a report of a replica, but Peter Olds [or father]
(Maryborough) built one some years back and it was run around his back
yard.  Now there is quite an extensive layout of track in Queen's Park
and one Sunday a month it operates as a working railroad.

I think the year 1840's is out from memory as Maryborough had barely
been settled then.  The Brisbane area wasn't open for settlement until
1842 although some areas in S. E. Qld were settled a little before
that.

I think you are referring to the first loco built by Walkers which was
used for logging in the area and was vertically boilered. I think this
was the sixties. I'm away from my booksat the moment to look it up.

Cheers

Garry