Re: Melbourne Monorail Proposal

David Goll wrote:

> There were alot of Labor election promises during the early to late
> 80's
> on rail, with nothing eventuating (apart from opening Ginifer station
> -
> whooppie!). It was quite a sad indictment on the supposedly "rail
> friendly" party.
>
> David
>
> David Bromage wrote:
> > There was a Labor election promise c1980 to do just this, but with
> heavy
> > rail. I think it was Huntingdale - Monash University - VFL Park -
> Rowville
> > - FT Gully.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David

 Add to this the East Doncaster line (which went as far as making it
into the Melways at the time), and the Frankston-Dandenong line (which
would have been useful, when you remember that it takes _1 hour_  to
travel between these places by bus).

I have looked at MMBW planning schemes from the mid-70s which show
another proposal that didn't make it - a bypass line, running from the
White City flyover (the only thing on the line that was actually built),
southwest to Boundary Rd, along to Fitzgerald Rd, and then south along
that to the Geelong line (from memory).

John
--
John Cleverdon: Locomotive & Deep-Sky Nut | Essendon-1998 AFL premiers
Client Information Management, Geospatial Information

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia             |---|_V/LINE___G543_|---|
E-mail: clev@railpage.org.au
The Locomotive Page:
http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/                           *