Re: XPT failed again

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
<snip>

>Is there a fundamental cooling problem with the XP power cars,ie radiators
too
>small, fans to small etc .

No

>What normally happens when the XPT is a total failure,ie both power cars
die.

Well if both power cars are dead it is time for busses. Both engines
expiring is not very common, but it does happen.

>Does Countrylink have any agreements with other rail operators to get locos
>rescue the dead train.

No whoever happens to be around. One problem you may have is finding a
person accredited for passenger trains to haul the set out.  (With the
exception of drivers from NRC Sydney) The general rule is, if there is a
locomotive available to Countrylink and they can supply their own drivers
they will. An example occured recently when the 73 class was sent from Meeks
Road to Gosford to haul the MT cars of NT2 to Sydney. It is unusual for an
outside company to haul the set for an entire journey, but quite common for
third parties to perform rescues.

>On the main south now,at least south of Goulburn there isnt very much
chance
>of simply grabbing a spare loco from somewhere.
>NR would be about the only source.

I don't know about the South, but on the North there are plenty of Freight
Corp people available

>cheers
>MD

>Maurie Daly