Re: Melbourne's Automated Ticketing

Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.net.#SPAMTRAP#.au> wrote:
: Why would anybody expect instructions in Warsaw be in anything other that
: Polish?

Because Warsaw gets a lot of foreign visitors, and therefore it could be
a good idea to add instructions in English, French, Russian, and German, e.g.

For the same reason, German ticket machines should have instructions at
least in English and French (actually some of them do).

Probably most people visiting Australia know at least a little bit
English. However, most European countries (except UK and Ireland, of
course) get lots of visitors who don't know the contry's language at all.

: As it happens, I'm all for ATMs in Melbourne. But it seems that along the way,
: they've just missed out on making it "ideal". Since they've done some silly
: things (like no Daily tickets available on trams) I think you can expect people
: to moan a bit.

I'm thinking exactly the same. Automatic ticketing should make the system
more - and not less - flexible. After all, to a modern ATM it makes no
difference to sell 2, 5, or 20 different sorts of tickets (provided they
can all be printed on the same form).

IMHO, on-board ticket machines should sell AT LEAST single and
daily tickets, probably also multi-ride and group tickets (if existent),
perhaps even weeklies. Station ATMs, in addition, should sell everything
up to monthlies.

--
Martin Bienwald <obelix@fim.informatik.uni-mannheim.de>